- 4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 pound pears, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
Heat the oven to 400° F.
Grease an 8-or 9-inch square or round baking dish with a little butter.
Cream the 4 tablespoons butter, oil, and sugar together using an electric mixer or fork.
Stir in the nuts, lemon juice, oats, flour and salt until combined and crumbly.
(You can make the topping ahead to this point; tightly wrap, and refrigerate for up to a day or freeze for up to several weeks; thaw before proceeding.)2.
Put the pears in the prepared dish, sprinkle with the cardamom, and toss.
Crumble the topping over all.
Bake until the filling is bubbly and the crust is just starting to brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve immediately, or at least while still warm.