Grilled cheese for dessert?! Why not! This recipe shows off just how versatile a grilled cheese sandwich is. This elegant play on the classic grilled cheese from Frederic Delaire, executive chef at Loews Miami Beach Hotel, looks beautiful and tastes even better Plus, it's a wonderful way to end a delicious meal.
Technique tip: Add a touch of Grand Marnier to the pastry crème for another layer of flavor.
Swap option: You can substitute strawberries for any berry that you like.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup strawberries
- 11 ounces (5½ tablespoons) butter, divided
- 1 loaf brioche, sliced into four 1-inch-thick pieces
- 10 ounces sugar
- 1 cup pastry cream, homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, cut in half or sliced
- Strawberry coulis for garnish (recipe above)
For the strawberry coulis:
Combine sugar and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add berries and simmer 15-20 minutes until berries are soft. Remove mixture from heat and let cool. Place cooled mixture into a blender and process until smooth. Strain to remove seeds, if desired.
For the sandwiches:
1. Set a pan over medium heat and coat with 1 ounce of the butter. Press the brioche slices into the pan and cook on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown. Place the slices on a plate.
2. In the same pan, over low heat melt the remaining butter with sugar and cook until the mixture turns into a caramel-like sauce, about 5-8 minutes.
3. Once the caramel is ready, remove the pan from the heat and dip the 4 slices of grilled brioche into the sauce. The caramel will soak into the brioche and stick to the outside of each slice.
4. Place the brioche slices on a non-stick surface and let them cool for 15 minutes. The brioche will become crispy on the outside.
5. In a bowl, combine the pastry cream with the cream cheese and whip until it becomes fluffy.
6. Place the brioche in the center of a plate and add a heaping spoonful of the cream cheese mixture on top and spread to cover the bread. Place strawberries on top and drizzle strawberry coulis.