Warm cabbage tossed with Caesar-style dressing offers a different (and addictive) take on a classic salad.
Swap option: You can use Napa cabbage or broccoli rabe in place of green cabbage.
Technique tip: Make sure the grill is smoking hot to ensure proper charring.
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into quarters while leaving the core intact
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 white anchovy filets
- 2 teaspoons minced anchovy fillets
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced golden raisins
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste
- 2 teaspoons minced capers
- 2 tablespoons grated Grana Padano cheese
- 2 tablespoons lightly toasted breadcrumbs
- 4 lemon wedges
1. Preheat a grill on the highest setting.
2. Place the cabbage on a cutting board. Using a large, freshly sharpened knife, cut the cabbage in half. Then cut it in half again while keeping the core intact.
3. Place the pieces of cabbage on a roasting rack and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer the cabbage to the grill and cook until charred black, about 7 minutes, then turn over and repeat. Once charred, transfer cabbage to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam for 20 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
4. Once the cabbage is cool, cut the core out and slice cabbage into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
5. In a bowl, mix the minced anchovy, orange zest, capers, Calabrian chili paste, orange juice, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt and minced golden raisins together.
6. When you are ready to assemble, rewarm the cabbage on the grill or in the oven for 2 minutes, then toss the cabbage in a large serving bowl with the anchovy vinaigrette.
7. Top with 2 tablespoons of freshly grated Grana Padano cheese and 2 tablespoons of lightly toasted breadcrumbs. Top with 4 white anchovy fillets and 4 lemon wedges for squeezing.