My mama taught me to make this pie. She learned how to make it from her mother, my grandmother, Betty. I like it because it has a rich, creamy texture, buttery crust and the bright pop of lemon always keeps me coming back for more.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 sticks butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut extract
- 1½ lemons, juiced
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (recipe linked above)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and butter.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
4. Add eggs to sugar mixture and stir to mix well. Add in the vanilla, coconut and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
5. Lastly, add the buttermilk to mixture and stir well. Pour the mixture into the pie crusts.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the pie; if it comes out clean, it's done.