Creamy butterscotch, fluffy marshmallows, toasted brown butter and rich dark chocolate make these the perfect post-barbecue dessert. They're not too heavy, but they are seriously addicting.
Technique tip: Using marshmallow fluff or cream helps to make sure that the squares don't become too hard. Also, browning the butter adds a whole new dimension of flavor.
Swap option: If you're not a big fan of butterscotch, try white chocolate or peanut butter chips.
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) butter
- One 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- One 7-ounce tub marshmallow cream or fluff
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips, divided
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1. In a small saucepan, add the butter and cook over medium heat until it melts, then turns a medium brown. Immediately pour the melted brown butter into a large heat-proof glass bowl.
2. Add 3/4 of the bag of marshmallows, the whole tub of fluff, salt and 1/2 cup of the butterscotch chips. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and microwave for another 30 seconds or until it is all melted.
3. Add the cereal and quickly stir to combine. Add the remaining mini marshmallows and butterscotch chips, and stir to combine.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased 8- by 8-inch glass baking dish. Use your hands to press and flatten completely. Let it firm up at room temperature for an hour.
5. Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave in 20-second increments until melted. Pour into a small zip-top bag, cut a small hole in a corner and squeeze the melted chocolate in a grid pattern onto the top of the marshmallow cereal treats. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, until the chocolate is hardened.
6. Cut the treats into big squares and serve.