I love to serve this healthy side dish with barbecued meats. The fresh veggies and hearty white beans are an excellent foil to rich, smoky cuts of beef, pork or chicken.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, cut 1/2-inch above the band
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut 1½-inch thick slices
- 1 large onion, sliced
- One 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Smoked Maldon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and set up an ice bath in a bowl.
2. Blanch the broccoli rabe in the water for about 1½ minutes. Remove to the ice bath to cool, then drain and set aside.
3. In a large pan, over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the cabbage and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the drained beans and cook for another 2 minutes or until everything is warmed through.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.