Leafy greens, sharp provolone, fresh basil and bright tomatoes make these baby strombolis impossible to stop eating.
Swap option: Save some time by using store-bought pizza dough.
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2¼ cups bread flour
- 1¼ tablespoons salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, cooked and chopped
- 1 pound sliced provolone cheese
- Maldon salt, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 pound baby kale, sautéed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped basil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Maldon salt
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh rosemary, chopped
For the dough:
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil followed by flour and mix. Then stir in the salt.
2. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let proof in warm, draft-free area for 3 hours.
3. Cut the dough into 3 ounce dough portions and shape into balls (if using store-bought dough, should the dough be portioned into 9 three-ounce balls).
4. Using your fingers, flatten out the dough balls into disks about 4½ to 5 inches round.
For the filling:
1. Rub each dough disk with 1 teaspoon garlic, then top each with 1½ ounces of provolone cheese and 1½ ounces of the broccoli rabe, spread evenly leaving a 1/4-inch rim.
2. Season with salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Place 1/4 ounce of chopped kale on top then sprinkle with basil.
3. Bring the edges of the dough up and pinch together, then place seam side down on a baking sheet.
4. Brush strombolis with olive oil and let sit at room temperature wrapped in plastic wrap, for 1 hour.
To garnish and bake:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Season each stromboli with salt then top with 3 cherry tomato halves each and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon rosemary.
3. Bake for 40 minutes until browned and bubbly.