A quiche might sound fancy and difficult but this is actually one of the most versatile recipes. It is, of course, a lovely brunch item but makes a delightful lunch or light supper when served with a salad.
Swap option: If you're not a fan of bacon, just leave it out. It won't impact the dish at all.
- 1 pre-baked pie crust
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the bacon strips in a large frying pan over medium heat until it's golden and crispy on both sides.
2. Remove and place it on a plate lined with a paper towel. Remove most of the grease from the frying pan.
3. Add olive oil to the pan. Once hot, add the chopped broccoli, onions and garlic. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes, tossing occasionally until broccoli is slightly tender
4. Chop the bacon and add it to the pan. Remove pan from heat.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. While the oven preheats, prepare the egg filling. Add eggs, whole milk and Parmesan cheese to a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Season with a little salt and pepper.
7. Layer the bottom of the pie crust with most of cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, reserving about ¼ cup of cheese for the top of quiche.
8. Sprinkle the broccoli, onion and bacon mixture over the cheese and spread into an even layer. Pour the egg mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup of cheese.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
10. Serve over bed of arugula or your favorite mixed green salad