- 2 small red onions
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 pound (3 to 4 medium) Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1-2 cups chopped barbecued brisket
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite barbecue rub
- 1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- fresh corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheese, such as colby jack, cheddar, or any Mexican blend
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped Picked Red Onions (recipe above)
- 1/2 cup Pico de Gallo (recipe above)
- 1/4 cup chopped, seeded jalapeños
- 1/4 Cilantro Sour Cream (recipe above)
These cheesy nachos are great way to used leftover protein from a big dinner. The homemade cilantro sour cream, pickled red onions and pico de gallo really set the dish apart.
Swap option: You can use ground beef instead of brisket.
For the pickled red onions:1.
Sliced the onions and put them in Mason jars. Add in the garlic, if using.2.
Heat the vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve, about 1 minute. Let cool and pour over the onions.3.
Set aside to cool to room temperature for 1 hour, then cap and store the onions in the fridge.
For the pico de gallo:
In a medium bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeño and cilantro.
Stir in the lime juice and season with salt and black pepper. Enjoy right away or cover and refrigerate overnight.
For the cilantro sour cream:
Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine.
For the nachos:1.
Preheat oven/smoker to 375 F.2.
Toss the chopped brisket with the barbecue rub and sauce.3.
Spread tortilla chips out on a baking sheet or cast-iron pan. Top with brisket and cheese. Place in oven until cheese is melted.4.
To serve, top with pickled red onions, pico de gallo, jalapeños and cilantro sour cream.