This hearty, stick-to-your ribs dish is a Southern classic for a reason. The creamy gravy and flavorful sausage are a perfect pairing.
- 1/2 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt, preferably Lawry's
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red crushed pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half, divided
- kosher salt
- buttermilk biscuits, to serve
1. In a medium saucepan, cook the breakfast sausage until browned. Discard excess fat.
2. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add all the spices and stir until well-combined. Stir in the flour and combine thoroughly. Add the heavy cream and 1/2 cup of the half-and-half. Cook at medium-low heat, simmering until it thickens. Once thickened, add the rest of the half-and-half and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Serve for breakfast over flaky buttermilk biscuits.