This is truly one of my most favorite recipes of all time! It's my go-to for holiday mornings and special (or not-so-special) occasions because you can make them ahead and pop the cups in the oven in the morning. The savory cupcakes freeze beautifully and you can pop them in a tin for a thoughtful gift.
Swap option: You can use croissants, wheat bread, brioche or pretty much anything. And you can mix up the cheeses and go with Gruyere, Swiss or any family favorite. You can also replace pork sausage with chicken or turkey sausage or even a vegetarian option. Make them vegan by substituting the eggs with an egg alternative base and use a tofu sausage.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups sausage meat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup hatch chile peppers, chopped
- Sliced bread
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until pieces start to brown, 4-5 minutes. Add onions and cook for another 5-7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to a plate and let cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, mustard powder, salt and pepper.
4. Press the slices of bread flat and press into the muffin pan cups. Add the egg mixture on top of the bread slices and layer with sausage, peppers and cheeses until 2/3 of the way full, and pour the egg mixture on top, until almost full. Top with six cherry tomato halves and a dash of salt.
5. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
6. Let cool for a few minutes before serving and enjoy!