This is a great dessert to throw together at the last minute because all the ingredients are in your pantry and it is the perfect way to use up stale bread.
Swap option: Use day-old croissants, biscuits or rolls instead of the French bread.
- 1 loaf French bread, cubed
- 1 quart milk
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
Whiskey sauce ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
For the bread pudding:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, soak bread in milk and crush with hands until well mixed.
3. Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins and stir well.
4. Melt butter and pour into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Add pudding mixture and bake at until very firm, about 35 minutes.
5. Let cool then slice pudding.
For the sauce:
Set up a double boiler and bring to a simmer. Place the sugar and butter in the top bowl and cook, whisking constantly, until very hot and well dissolved. Then add in egg and whip very fast so egg does not curdle. Remove from heat, let cool and add whiskey to taste.
When ready to serve, top the pudding slices with whiskey sauce and warm in oven.