Sweet pineapple, spicy ginger and savory marinated steak perfectly balance one another in this intriguing and easy Brazilian-style salad.
Swap option: Use jalapeños or poblanos instead of bell peppers for a bit of heat.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1½ pounds flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain on a diagonal
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 2 teaspoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces baby spinach (about 2½ quarts lightly packed)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Add the steak to the bowl and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate.
3. Place the pineapple and peppers on the grill and let cook with lid down until they begin to char, turning once, about 3 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cut pineapple and peppers into chunks. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, orange zest and juice, remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, garlic chili sauce and oil. Set dressing aside.
5. Grill the steak with lid down until the meat is sizzling and mostly browned, turning once, 2 to 4 minutes total (be careful that slices don't fall through grate).
6. Toss together spinach, pineapple, bell pepper, steak and dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.