- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup homemade Boursin cheese (recipe above) or one 5-ounce package Boursin cheese with cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2½ pounds red new potatoes, scrubbed and cut 1/4-inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Potatoes, butter and cheese ... oh my! This recipe pairs with anything and everything beautifully and is always a crowd-pleaser.
Technique tip: After slicing potatoes, place in cold water to prevent browning.
Swap option: You may use your favorite potato, ours is red potatoes with skin on, but the Yukon gold work beautifully as well.
For the homemade Boursin cheese:
In a small bowl, make a paste with the garlic and salt. Set aside.
In a food processor bowl or large mixer bowl, process or beat together cream cheese, butter, parsley, pepper and garlic mixture until smooth. Cover and store for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
For the potatoes:1.
Generously butter a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. In a heavy 1½ -quart saucepan, heat cream, Boursin cheese, shallots and garlic over medium heat, stirring until cheese melts.2.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange half of the sliced potatoes in the baking dish in slightly overlapping rows. Generously season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the cheese mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the chives. Repeat layering with remaining potato slices, more salt and pepper, and cheese mixture.3.
Bake about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown. Sprinkle with more parsley.