- 3 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices (you should have 9 or 10 slices)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Brush the eggplant slices on both sides with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the slices on two baking sheets in an even layer, leaving a few inches between each slice.
3. Roast the eggplant on the top and bottom rack of the oven for 12 minutes. Turn the slices over using a metal spatula, then put the sheet pan that was on the top rack on the bottom rack and vice versa. Continue roasting until the eggplant is lightly golden brown and soft but still holds it shape, about 12 minutes longer.
4. Remove the sheet pans and transfer to cooling racks and let the eggplant sit until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. The eggplant slices can be used immediately or cooled and refrigerated, tightly covered, for 24 hours.