Smoky spices, sweet tomatoes and hot horseradish complement the meaty steak perfectly. It's also simple to prepare and a great source of protein.
Technique tip: Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes after removing from heat. Cut on the bias against the grain for tender slices.
Swap option: You can make this recipe with a New York strip, rib eye or flank steak.
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 stalk celery, thinly sliced, plus celery leaves, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pickled jalapeños, thinly sliced
- Chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons Spanish sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1¼ pounds skirt steak, cut crosswise into 2 pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tomato salsa:
In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire, celery salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, celery, leaves, onion, jalapeño and cilantro, and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.
For the spice rub:
Stir together all of the spices in a bowl. Keep in a tightly covered container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
For the skirt steak:
1. Preheat the grill, cast iron grill pan or cast iron skillet over high heat.
2. Brush the steak on both sides with the oil and season with salt and pepper and a few heaping tablespoons of the rub. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Grill the steak on both sides until golden brown and cooked to medium-rare doneness, about 12 minutes total. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Cut the steak on the bias into thin slices. Top with the tomato salsa and serve.