The only thing better than pizza is dessert pizza. This grilled flatbread makes summer blueberries shine, especially when paired with the subtle brightness of fresh basil leaves. No pizza is complete without cheese, and this creamy cream cheese base takes this dessert pizza over the top.
Technique tip: Whenever I'm making pizza, I go to my favorite pizza joint and ask them for some dough. It Always helps to get the good stuff!
Swap option: You could try this recipe with fresh strawberries as well.
Special equipment: A grill (or grill pan) and a rolling pin for the pizza dough.
- 1 pint blueberries, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 leaves basil, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough
- Vegetable oil, for brushing pizza and grill
- Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
1. Place 1 cup of the blueberries in a saucepan with the sugar. Cook on low heat until sugar is melted and mixture becomes watery, about 5 minutes or so.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Add the mixture to the blueberry sauce and cook over medium heat until it begins to boil and thicken. Pour into a large bowl and cool slightly. Gently fold in the rest of blueberries, basil, lemon juice and zest. Set aside.
3. Place cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, blend together until light and fluffy. Set aside.
4. Roll out pizza dough into a 10-inch circle (about 1/4-inch thick). Brush both sides with vegetable oil and place on the grill (it helps to brush grill with oil as well). Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, until lightly charred and the flatbread is no longer sticking to the grill.
5. To assemble, remove the dough from grill and place on a cutting board. Spread cream cheese mixture on the flatbread, and then spoon blueberry mixture on top. Slice and serve alongside scoops of vanilla ice cream.