These are not your average sandwiches. The velvety ravigote sauce adds a bright, spicy and smoky flavor to the tender crabmeat. Plus, it's topped with crispy bacon and ripe tomato. It doesn't get better than that!
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 dashes hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- Salt, to taste
- 8 slices ripe tomato, preferably Creole or heirloom
- Sea salt
- 6 ounces blue crab meat, picked to remove shells
- 1 cup bacon ravigote, plus more for spreading
- 1 tablespoon sliced chives
- 10 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 leaves butter or red leaf lettuce
- 8 slices whole grain bread or sliced brioche
For the bacon ravigote:
Whisk all ingredients together and season with salt to taste.
For the sandwiches:
1. Season the tomato slices with sea salt.
2. Mix picked crabmeat with bacon ravigote and chives.
3. Slather slices of toasted bread with additional bacon ravigote.
4. Place a heaping tablespoon of crabmeat mixture on each slice of bread. Top with two slices of bacon, two slices of tomato, one leaf of lettuce and top off with another slice of bread. Smash sandwich down firmly and cut in half diagonally.