Eggs and tomato sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon black olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup chorizo, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo, pureed
- 2 tablespoons celery, fine chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon horseradish, fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- Salt and peper, to taste
- 8 eggs
- 4 pieces cornbread (for serving)
For the pickled vegetables
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, very small dice
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, very small dice
- 1/2 cup red pearl onions, small dice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspons salt
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice, whole
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper corn, cracked
For the eggs and tomato sauce:
In a dutch oven over medium heat place onions, garlic, celery and chorizo. Cook for 4 minutes. Sautee until the garlic begins to turn golden brown, being careful not to burn. Stir in chipotle, capers, black olives, tomato juice, chili powder, let simmer for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add horseradish and cook. Drop in 8 eggs into the sauce. Let simmer for 4 minutes.
For the pickled vegetables:
- In a medium pot combine diced vegetables and cover with remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a slight simmer and cook for 3 minutes. When vegetables are completely tender but not overcooked, remove pot from the heat.
- Using a strainer separate the liquid from the vegetables. Pack away the liquid, this can be reused.
- Cover and chill the pickled vegetables.
Serve toasted cornbread topped with two eggs and tomato sauce. Then garnish with chopped pickled vegetables.