- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 jalapeño, cored and finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh blood orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Roma tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 blood orange, cut into segments, for garnish
Avocados are in season and extremely affordable right now. The smooth flavor of the chiles, sharp onions and bright citrus complement the cool creaminess of the avocados. It's a beautifully balanced dip.
Technique tip: If your avocados are not ripe enough, put them in the microwave for 5 seconds.
Swap option: Any citrus will work beautifully; grapefruit would be a wonderful swap.
In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork or potato masher to mash avocados to your desired consistency.2.
Stir in jalapeño, onion, lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, salt and cumin until well-mixed. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed. Gently stir in the tomatoes.3.
Garnish with orange segments and serve with your favorite tortilla chips.