Avocados are in season and extremely affordable right now. The smooth flavor of the chiles, sharp onions and bright citrus complement the cool creaminess of the avocados. It's a beautifully balanced dip.
Technique tip: If your avocados are not ripe enough, put them in the microwave for 5 seconds.
Swap option: Any citrus will work beautifully; grapefruit would be a wonderful swap.
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 jalapeño, cored and finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh blood orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Roma tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 blood orange, cut into segments, for garnish
1. In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork or potato masher to mash avocados to your desired consistency.
2. Stir in jalapeño, onion, lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, salt and cumin until well-mixed. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed. Gently stir in the tomatoes.
3. Garnish with orange segments and serve with your favorite tortilla chips.