I love icebox cakes! They're incredibly easy and make a great summer dessert. This cold and creamy treat is made with layers of pound cake, blackberries and sweet whipped cream.
- One 16-ounce frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 1 cup blackberries, halved, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons blackberry jam
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
1. Remove the pound cake from its pan, reserving the pan. Line the pan with plastic wrap, leaving plenty of plastic wrap overhanging. Slice the top mound off the pound cake and set aside, then slice the remaining cake into 3 slices. Crumble the mounded layer into crumbs and toss with the melted butter. Toast in a pan over medium heat until golden-brown all over. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix together the blackberries, blackberry jam and lemon zest. Set aside.
3. Add the heavy cream and powdered sugar to a bowl. Whip until firm peaks form.
4. Place one layer of cake into the bottom of the lined pan and press to slightly flatten. Top with 1/3 of the blackberry mixture and 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat the process two additional times, ending with whipped cream. Top with the toasted crumbs, a few blackberries and a sprig of mint. Loosely cover with the overhanging plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
5. To serve, carefully remove the cake from the pan. Remove the plastic wrap, slice and serve.