- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoon very large shallots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 10 ounce fresh goat cheese, softened
- 4 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounce greek feta cheese, at room temperature
In a medium skillet, melt the butter.
Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Scrape the shallots into a food processor and let cool.
Add the goat cheese, cream cheese and feta and puree until smooth.
Scrape the cheese into a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
Shape one third of the cheese mixture into a ball and roll in black sesame seeds to coat; shape the remaining two-thirds into a larger ball and coat with black sesame seeds.
On a serving board, press the balls together to form the head and body of a spider.
Cut the piquillo pepper into 2 small triangles and place them on the body in an hourglass shape.
Serve with crackers, flat breads or bread sticks.
The unformed cheese mixture can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.