- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2½ cups tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (add more if you like it extra spicy)
- Salt and pepper
- Brown rice, to serve
This is one of the simplest and most nourishing recipes. It only takes ten minutes to put together and it's wonderfully filling and comforting. It's a great dish to make if you're feeding lots of people too as it's no more complicated to make for twelve then it is for two. It requires almost no chopping, so you won't be in the kitchen for hours!
- Place the carrot and garlic into a large saucepan.
- Add the tomato purée, tomato paste, both the beans, jalapeño pepper and the chili flakes to the saucepan along with some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook the chili for about 10 minutes, stirring it well, until it's lovely and warm and everything's nicely mixed together.
- Pour the chili over brown rice and enjoy.