This easy recipe calls for cooked turkey so it's perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers. It can be put together in just a few minutes. It needs to simmer for approximately 30 minutes but would also do incredibly well in a slow cooker.
- 1 pound shredded, cooked turkey
- 1 cup red onion
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can black-eyed peas
- One 12-ounce bottle dark beer
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Heat a dutch oven or other pot over medium heat, then add the olive oil. Add the garlic and onions and sauté until translucent. Add the tomato paste and cook for approximately 2 minutes, stirring. When the tomato paste begins to caramelize, add all of the remaining ingredients. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.