I love this spin on classic hummus, which was a staple of any gathering back home where I grew up in upstate New York, including holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, parties and football games!
Technique tip: Use the best extra virgin olive oil you can find.
Swap option: You could use any white bean, such as cannellini, in place of the black-eyed peas.
- 2 cups canned blacked-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Smoked paprika, for garnish
1. Combine the black-eyed peas, tahini, garlic, salt, cumin and lemon juice in a food processor and puree until smooth, adding water as needed to achieve a smooth consistency.
2. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and continue pureeing until a creamy consistency is reached.
3. Transfer to a bowl and serve with your favorite vegetables, chips, bread or crackers.