An easy and hearty soup with surprising ingredients: cinnamon — not only tasty, but long prized for its medicinal properties — and chia seeds, for an omega-3 boost.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 12 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, plus more if needed
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems, as garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add the onion and sauté until translucent.
2. Add the black beans, vegetable stock, garlic salt, cumin, cinnamon and chia seeds. Simmer, covered, forat least 2 hours, or until the beans are cooked.
3. If you want the soup thicker after cooking, add another tablespoon of chia seeds or blend half of themixture with an immersion blender.
4. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro on top.
Excerpted from Skinny Liver: A Proven Program to Prevent and Reverse the New Silent Epidemic—Fatty Liver Disease by Kristin Kirkpatrick, MS, RD, LD with Ibrahim Hanouneh, MD. Copyright © 2017. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.