- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 5 gluten-free buns
- In a small sauté pan, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Stir in the beans, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and cilantro. Remove pan from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place mixture into a food processor and pulse about 5 times, or until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and add the breadcrumbs and egg whites and combine thoroughly. Let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill, or if using a skillet, add a tablespoon of cooking oil and place over medium-high heat. Shape the burger mix into 5 patties and grill on grill topper/basket until cooked through and crispy on each side, about 5 minutes per side, or if in a skillet, cook 3-5 minutes per side until crispy.
- Serve on gluten-free buns if desired, with lettuce, tomato and your favorite condiments, or serve bunless with potatoes and a salad of greens.