- 1 orange
- 1/2 pound spanish chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 pound red onion, chopped
- 1 pound red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon 12-ounce bottle of beer
- 3 tablespoon 3 cups cooked (or 2 cans) black beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
Halve the orange and seed it if necessary.
Peel one half, divide the segments and save the rind; squeeze the juice from the other half.2.
Put the chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat.
Cook, stirring and turning to brown the slices, for 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, another 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the garlic, cook and stir for about a minute, then add the orange peel and juice, beer, beans, chili powder, honey, and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper.
If the beans aren’t submerged in liquid, add a little water.3.
Adjust the heat so the mixture bubbles steadily and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve, garnished with the herb.