This recipe is beautiful in its colors, which is often hard to find in the fall and winter months. It is also easy to prepare ahead of time and excellent for serving a large table of guests.
Technique Tip: Roasting your beets in a lot of vinegar and salt will allow them to season evenly throughout the cooking process.
- 10 ounces white wine vinegar
- 10 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head garlic, split
- 1 sprig thyme
- Salt, to taste
- 3 pounds heirloom baby beets (should fill 1 large baking pan, single layer)
Concord grape puree
- 1 pound concord grapes
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1 ounce red wine vinegar
- 1 pint toasted whole pistachios for roasted nutty aroma and texture
- Ricotta salata, shaved over the top for creaminess
- Watermelon radishes or breakfast radishes, sliced
- Micro beet greens, picked and washed
For the beets:
Preheat oven to 425°F, low fan.
Combine ingredients and cover with foil. Roast for approximately 45 minutes, or until tender with a cake tester.
Cool slightly, strain the liquid, and peel beets. Be careful to try and keep the tails attached to the beets.
For the concord grape puree:
In a medium sauce pot combine concord grapes and sugar.
Bring to a simmer and allow the grapes to macerate.
Make sure the mixture is reducing without burning.
Whisk in your red wine vinegar to balance out the sweetness
Put all into the blender and blend on high you may need to add a small amount of water until smooth
Strain and cool puree.