- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup lentils, cooked (optional)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Buns, for serving
These classic beef Sloppy Joe's are perfect for feeding a crowd. Using lean beef cuts the fat.
Chef's tip: Try adding lentils to give these classic sandwiches a whole new dimension of taste and texture.
In a large skillet, cook the beef over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat, until browned. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and green pepper and sauté for 7-8 minutes, until tender. Stir in the garlic. Return the beef to the pan, and stir in the chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook one minute. Stir in the lentils (optional), tomato sauce, water, ketchup, brown sugar, Dijon, Worcestershire, vinegar and celery seed. Mix well. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Serve on a bun.