- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cola, preferably Coca-Cola
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, chopped for garnish
The secret weapon in this BBQ cola chicken skewers recipe is the soda. It helps tenderize the chicken and adds a subtle hint of sweetness.
Special equipment: 24 wooden skewers
Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.2.
Preheat grill to 400°F. (These can also be cooked in a grill pan over medium-high heat).3.
Trim chicken of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.4.
In a large bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, jalapeño, both paprikas, oil and cola. Mix with a rubber spatula until the ingredients are blended.5.
Add the cubed chicken and mix until well coated with the spice mixture.6.
Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.7.
Thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers.8.
Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook until browned and slightly charred, about 5 minutes on each side.9.
Brush the top of chicken with barbecue sauce, turn and cook until sauce has browned, about 1-2 minutes. Turn and brush the second side with sauce, cooking an additional 1-2 minutes or until chicken has browned.10.
Remove the chicken skewers from grill and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.11.
Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with remaining barbecue sauce on the side.