Follow these easy instructions for the creamiest, dreamiest spread — no matter what kind of nuts you have on hand.
- 1 pound unsalted nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
1. To make any nut butter, place 1 pound of unsalted nuts in the bowl of a food processor and hit the “on” button. Let it go for about 2 minutes. You’ll see that it has turned the nuts into flour, which can be using for baking, but we’re here to make butter!
2. Scrape the sides of the bowl down and keep processing for another 8-10 minutes. At this point, the nuts will sort of form into a ball, but the consistency will remain quite dry and you might decide to throw in the towel. Don’t!
3. Turn the machine on again for another 3-4 minutes and the nut butter will become creamy and smooth. It will also be quite warm at this point. This is the time to add salt, honey, ground cinnamon or any other flavorings. (If you’re adding dried fruit, such as raisins or dried cherries, wait until after you’ve removed the nut butter from the processor.) After adding salt, continue to process for another 3-4 minutes, until creamy.
4. Transfer nut butter to a glass jar fitted with a lid. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.