- 3½ ounces fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons baobab powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sticky brown sugar)
- 2 large lemons, juice of both and zest of 1 (if you like)
- 1 cup just-boiled water
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle sparkling water
- fresh mint, lemon slices and lots of ice, to serve
The floral and citrusy flavor of baobab powder makes this invigorating ginger beer even more refreshing. Using fresh and ground ginger really amplifies the naturally sharp zing of the aromatic root.
Blitz the fresh ginger and baobab powder in a handheld blender or food processor. Mix all of the ingredients except the water together in a small pot, add in water and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool and steep for a further 5-10 minutes.
Strain the mixture to a glass jug or wide-necked bottle, top with sparkling water, adjust to taste and refrigerate until needed, or serve immediately over ice with fresh mint and lemon wedges.