My mother didn't allow my brother and me many sweets when we were kids, which only made me want them more. Once every few weeks my dad would shuffle us into the car and take us for ice cream as a treat. On extra-special occasions he'd let me get one of my favorite desserts: a classic banana split. I still crave a banana split every now and then, but, for a healthier option, I developed this smoothie that you can eat with a spoon. And if you want to take it to a whole other level, add any or all of the toppings for the ultimate healthful indulgence.
- 1 frozen banana, peeled
- 1 tablespoon almond or peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/8 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 dried date, pitted
- Optional toppings: fresh or frozen cherries, slices of fresh banana, strawberries, grated coconut, cacao nibs, chocolate drizzle and/or coconut whipped cream
- Optional super boosts: bee pollen, chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, maca powder, vanilla or plain protein powder collagen peptides and/or pink Himalayan salt
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a serving glass lined with slices of fresh banana, if using, and then add any of the other toppings that you want to use.