Banana Fritters are typically a slice of banana smothered in flour and deep-fried in loads of oil. My cleaned-up version tastes like the real deal, but is worlds better for your waistline and your ticker. Did I mention it's also topped it with a sweet peanut butter-maple drizzle? Trust me, you'll go bananas!
1 serving = 1/2 banana (about 4 to 6 fritters, depending on size of banana)
160 calories per serving (includes peanut butter-maple drizzle)
Nutrition analysis courtesy of Genesis® R&D
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled
- 1 cup dry whole grain pancake mix (or enough to make about 10 pancakes according to package directions)
- 1-2 eggs, lightly beaten (use the amount listed on your pancake mix box)
- 3/4-1 cup skim, almond, soy or light coconut milk (use the amount listed on your pancake mix box)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional), for garnish
Cut each banana in half lengthwise, then cut width-wise into about 1½-inch slices (yielding about 8 to 12 slices per banana). Mix pancake batter, egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract in bowl to make batter.2.
Dip banana slices in batter, generously coating all sides of each banana slice.3.
Liberally coat a skillet with oil spray and warm over medium heat. Place banana slices on skillet and cook each side for about 30 seconds, or until bananas are lightly browned. Transfer banana fritters to plate and set aside.4.
In a small bowl, mix together peanut butter with maple syrup and stir well. Microwave for about 5 to 10 seconds, and stir again until well combined.5.
Top each serving of banana fritters with an optional sprinkling of powdered sugar and a drizzle of peanut butter-maple syrup (about 1 teaspoon per serving).