Is there a person in this world that does not love banana bread or cinnamon rolls? Combining the best parts of both into one indulgent breakfast will make you a hero to whomever you serve these.
Technique tip: If you need to ripen your bananas quickly, throw them in a 250°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Swap option: If you're not into bananas, you can certainly omit them for a traditional cinnamon roll experience.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 2 ripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- Olive or canola oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (or more)
Cream cheese glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat the milk and 3 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, remove from heat and let cool slightly (you want it to be warm to the touch, not hot).
2. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, and then sprinkle the yeast over the milk and butter mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Add the mashed bananas, 1 tablespoon sugar and the salt, and stir.
4. Slowly add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a springy dough is formed.
5. On a lightly-floured surface, remove dough and knead for a few minutes.
6. Rinse out mixing bowl and coat with olive or canola oil. Form dough into a ball and place in bowl, seam-side down. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit on counter for an hour, until dough doubles in size.
7. Remove from bowl and, again on a lightly-floured surface, roll out dough to a large rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick.
8. Melt the rest of the butter in the microwave, and then pour over the dough. Sprinkle with the remaining granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon (you may also combine the 3 in a bowl first, stir, and then sprinkle).
9. Starting with the shorter end, roll into a log, seam-side down. Using a serrated knife, cut into rolls, and place in a round (or square) lightly-greased cake pan.
10. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Once preheated, bake rolls for 28 to 30 minutes.
11. While rolls are baking, whisk glaze ingredients together. Pour over baked rolls, and enjoy!