What could be better than classic Italian sausage, peppers and onions? The classic trio combined with rigatoni for an irresistible gooey baked pasta.
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced or fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 24 ounces marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 2½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and cook the rigatoni for 10 to 12 minutes, until al dente. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a large skillet, add the Italian sausage and cook over medium heat until browned through, about 10 minutes. Add in the peppers, onion and garlic, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until heated through.
3. Pour the Italian sausage mixture into a large bowl and toss with the rigatoni, marinara sauce and 1½ cups of the Parmesan cheese. Pour the mixture into a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish. Top with the remaining cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.