I love this recipe because it is a quick, easy, flavorful and impressive way to serve eggs. It makes a basic breakfast feel extra special with minimal effort. The sauce and yolk combined make a glorious dipping sauce for crusty toast.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed Roma tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small handful fresh parsley, finely minced
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place a heavy 8- to 10-inch oven-safe skillet (such as cast iron) over medium-high heat. Heat the oil and sauté onions and peppers five minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, smoked paprika, cumin, pepper flakes and season with salt and black pepper. Stir well, then lower heat and let simmer 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.2.
Use a spoon to make a small well in the tomato sauce and crack an egg into the hole.3.
Repeat with the rest of the eggs, scattering them around the pan.4.
Transfer to the oven and let cook 7-10 minutes, or until the egg whites are fully cooked (they should be completely opaque) and the yolks are just set. Remove from the oven and garnish with cheese and minced parsley.