Baked clams oreganata are a must-have for a traditional Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes, which is celebrated on Christmas Eve, but these would be a lovely appetizer for any special meal.
- 12 top neck clams
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic
- 12 leaves Italian parsley
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
1. Rinse clams for 20 minutes under cold running water, then shuck the clams, reserving 12 half shells. Scrub reserved clamshells inside and out and dry completely.
2. Chop garlic and parsley very fine.
3. In a medium size bowl, add the butter, breadcrumbs, oregano, garlic, parsley and lemon zest. Toss all together and brown lightly.
4. Cover clams on half shells with breadcrumb mixture. Bake uncovered for about 7-8 minutes.