Crisp, salty bacon, sweet tender scallops and a smooth, earthy root vegetable purée give this dish a variety of delicious flavors and delightful textures.
- 2 pounds celery root, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound jumbo scallops, cleaned
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 1/4 green apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
1. In a large pot, add diced potato and diced celery root. Add heavy cream and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender. Once cooked, remove potatoes and celery root and add to a food processor. Add butter and 1½ cups of the warm cream the vegetables were cooked in. Pulse until smooth and season with salt (for a smoother purée, pass mixture through a food mill or a sieve). Keep warm until ready to serve.
2. Preheat your oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Cut the bacon strips in half and wrap a piece around each scallop. Secure in place with a toothpick. Place the assembled scallops on the prepared baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, until the bacon is crisp.
4. To plate, spoon some celery root potato purée on the bottom of each of 4 plates. Place 3 scallops on top and finish with the apple, celery leaves and chives.