- 6 ounces finely shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- 8 grilled or boiled hot dogs
- 8 potato hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup Bacon and Caramelized Onion Topping (recipe linked above)
Does anything say "summer" more than hot dogs? I like to kick them up a notch, dressing them with gooey Dijon-cheddar sauce and a scattering of my salty and sweet Bacon and Caramelized Onion topping!
Technique tip: Leftover Cheese Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Warm before using. I like to use the additional sauce to dip fries in!
For the Dijon-cheddar sauce:
In a large bowl, toss the cheese and flour, to coat.
In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and butter to a simmer over medium heat. Add the Dijon and cheddar-flour mixture and stir until melted and the sauce thickens. Season with salt, to taste. Keep warm until ready to use.
Place the hot dogs in the buns. Ladle a generous amount of the cheese sauce over the hot dogs and scatter some of the onion topping on top. Serve immediately.