These dog treats are filled with bacon goodness and nutritious oats. Your pup is sure to go crazy for them!
Baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the treats. Serving size will also vary depending on the desired shapes and cookie cutters used.
Note: Bacon can be consumed as an occasional treat in small amounts, but please keep in mind that feeding any new food, especially in large amounts, can give your pup indigestion. Please consult with your pet’s veterinarian regarding possible allergies your dog may have.
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes; set aside, reserving excess fat.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, eggs and bacon fat on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add old fashioned oats and 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky. Add bacon, beating just until incorporated.
4. Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
5. Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
6. Let cool completely.