- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- 1/2 clove garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (5-ounce) clamshell baby kale
These breadcrumbs are like the crouton's sophisticated older cousin. They're a bit more subtle, but they deliver the most satisfying crunch in every bite. Plus, they take only a few minutes to make.
Swap option: In place of the breadcrumbs, you can swap in Elizabeth Heiskell's Cheese Coins, crushed, if you like.
For the breadcrumbs:
In a small nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast, stirring constantly, until golden-brown and crispy.
Immediately transfer the breadcrumbs to a bowl to halt the cooking. Add the lemon zest, red pepper flakes and a generous pinch of salt. Toss well to combine and set aside to cool.
For the dressing:
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the garlic, lemon juice, sherry vinegar, vegan mayonnaise and Dijon to combine. While whisking, add the oil in a slow, steady stream to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Toss the baby kale with the dressing and top with a generous sprinkle of seasoned breadcrumbs.