The avocado cream sauce is both light and refreshing — qualities rarely found in creamy sauces. This sauce also maintains an amazing brightness with the addition of fresh basil and lemon and is extremely versatile.
Technique tip: Feel free to use this versatile cream sauce as a dip for crackers, as a spread for sandwiches or as the base sauce for a flatbread!
Swap option: You can also use brown rice pasta or lentil pasta for other gluten-free pasta options.
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 box gluten-free pasta of choice
- 1½ ripe avocados
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt, to garnish
For the roasted tomatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
For the pasta:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Add avocado, lemon juice, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and water to a blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste (you can add more lemon for brightness, more chili for spice. If the sauce is too thick, feel free to add an extra splash or two of water).
3. Add cream sauce to pasta and stir until it is fully incorporated. Add arugula and roasted tomatoes and mix until combined. Garnish with sea salt and red pepper flakes.