This salad is my family's favorite for a reason. It's easy to make, kids love it and it is healthy while also very filling.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 pound grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated, cleaned and torn
- 3 to 4 heads baby romaine lettuce, chopped
1. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush corn lightly with vegetable oil. Cook until tender and lightly charred. Cool and remove from husk.
2. Cut the kernels off the cobs and place in a large bowl. Season with salt and cumin to taste. Add the red bell pepper, avocado, cilantro, grape tomatoes and Cotija. Stir to combine and set aside.
3. In a sauté pan, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess grease. Let cool, then crumble the bacon and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and avocado. Season with salt to taste. Add the dressing to the corn mixture and toss to combine.
5. Toss the lettuces with the corn mixture and place in a large bowl or platter. Top with the crumbled bacon and serve.