The fresh herbs in this dish take a usually boring side dish to a showstopper of a side! The crisp cabbage, fresh veggies and toasted nuts make this the crunchiest cabbage you've ever tasted.
Technique tip: Remove the seeds and the white vein that attaches the seeds to the jalapeño flesh. This will help reduce the spicy heat of the jalapeño.
Swap option: Add rice noodles and roasted chicken for a healthier main meal option.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1½ teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups shredded Napa or green cabbage
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeds removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
For the dressing:
Whisk together all of the ingredients.
For the slaw:
In a large bowl, mix cabbage, red pepper, carrots, green onions, fresh herbs and jalapeños. Toss with dressing and peanuts. Serve right away or refrigerate until you're ready to go.