This healthy meatloaf is high on flavor. Serve it with brown rice and steamed or roasted broccoli. And if you want to turn up the heat, add more ginger and red pepper flakes.
Technique tip: Peel fresh ginger by scraping off the skin with a teaspoon.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 5 green onions, washed and sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- One 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 eggs
- One 7.5-ounce jar hoisin sauce, divided
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, green onions, ginger and water chestnuts.
3. In a small bowl, combine the mustard, soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed red pepper flakes and eggs. Add the egg mixture to the turkey mixture and stir to combine. Add half of the hoisin sauce and 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs. Stir to combine. Add more panko if mixture is too wet.
4. Turn mixture out onto foil-lined baking sheet and shape into a loaf, approximately 9- by 5-inches. Bake for 40 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and cover loaf with remaining hoisin sauce. Return to oven and cook for 10-20 more minutes until the internal temperature of the loaf registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
6. Remove the loaf from the oven, allow to cool for 15 minutes, then slice and serve.