I love this salad because it has wonderful, fresh flavor and a big, satisfying crunch. The toasted nuts, crisp vegetables and crushed potato chips really amp up the taste and texture.
Technique tip: To toast the slivered almonds, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely before using.
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 3 cups shredded Napa cabbage (from 1 small cabbage)
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce, from 1 small lettuce
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and deveined, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Thai basil or fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced, store-bought rotisserie chicken (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon toasted white or black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup crushed potato chips
For the salad:
Using a vegetable peeler, shave the carrot and place in a large salad bowl. Add the cabbage, lettuce, pepper, Thai basil, chicken, almonds and sesame seeds.
For the dressing:
In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, sesame oil, tamari, vinegar, ginger, sugar and salt until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Garnish with the potato chips and serve.