Bright citrus, briny olives and zesty za'atar spice make this simple salad a fresh and flavorful start to any meal.
- 1 pound mixed oranges or grapefruit
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces arugula
- 1/4 cup salt-cured Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
1. Peel and halve all the citrus, then lay the halves flat and use a serrated knife to very gently cut them into 1/2-inch slices. Set them aside.
2. To make the dressing, grate the garlic into a bowl, then add the lemon juice, honey, ginger and salt. Whisk while, stream in the olive oil so that the dressing emulsifies.
3. Toss the arugula and olives in the dressing until they're coated. Pile in the citrus and sprinkle the za'atar all over as a garnish.