If you've ever eaten Peurto Rican food you'll know this dish is worth the extra steps and maybe some shopping to enjoy a taste of the island
For red bean stew:
- In a sauce pot, at medium high heat, sauté the garlic and white onions in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the sofrito and recaito and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the bay leaves, tomato sauce, seasoning packet, chopped cilantro and beans and stir together to incorporate well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce temperature to low and continue cooking for about 30 minutes.
- Mince the garlic with salt in small bowl to form a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the mayonnaise and the lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
For arroz mamposteao:
- In a large skillet, at medium high temperature, sauté garlic until toasted in the olive oil. Add the sliced longaniza sausage, sofrito and chopped cilantro and cook for about a minute and a half.
- Add the cooked rice and combine well.
- Slowly and gently stir in the bean stew, being careful not to smash the beans. Also calabaza or butternut squash, and stir until the ingredients are well incorporated. Garnish with fresh cilantro and drizzle with aioli.